Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Olive Kitteridge - A Book Review

Olive Kitteridge: A Novel in Stories Olive Kitteridge: A Novel in Stories by Elizabeth Strout


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Oh Oli, Henry would say. Olive, a crass woman who shot from the hip without much consideration for others. In an instant, Olive has examined, judged and convicted her subjects...not leaving room for discovery.

I've had an Olive in my life, a bitter man, easily angered with moods that changed quicker than the tide. He, like Olive, believed he loved people and was shocked when he was told that people couldn't see through the cold, sharp exterior he present to the world.

I enjoyed Olive's reflection at the end of the book. Olive is the polar opposite of who I am, but I did learn from her. Rather than simply loving someone at the surface, richness in life is never gained by simply scratching the surface. Dig deep, take the time, and allow love to flow through multiple dimensions.  Don't allow the busy world to stifle or corrupt your true intentions.

I hope I will never pray to die quickly, only pray to stay a little longer.  I hope that my light will continue to shine after I have left this world.  I hope that people will not question my love, but continue to feel it long after I am gone.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about Olive. I saw a little of myself in her, and I try to work toward bringing out the nicer after reading the book because I realized I didn't like Olive. I disliked the way the book was written. It was more like short stories tied together by Olive.

    Your review was right on!

    ReplyDelete